Mother’s Day is practically here, and if you are like me you sometimes struggle with finding a gift for the woman that already has everything. Well, struggle no more, because everyone needs cupcakes!
These Cupcake Bouquets are easy and inexpensive to make, but so cute and delicious. And they are easy to customize to your mom’s preferences. You can tweak the size and number of cupcakes, the flavors, and colors until it’s just right. And then when the cupcakes are gone, mom gets to keep a cute basket to put things in. I love baskets, so that part is very appealing to me.
You will need:
- A basket, flower pot, or wide mouth vase
- A foam ball to fit your basket, pot, vase
- Green tissue paper
- Assorted cake tips with couplers and icing bags
- Buttercream icing
1. Start by preparing your basket. Put the foam ball inside and tuck tissue paper around the rim to hold the ball firmly in place and conceal the edges using about 2/3 of a sheet of tissue paper. I used one whole sheet of tissue paper for this entire project, cut into smaller pieces. Poke toothpicks into the ball wherever you want cupcakes and press the un-iced cupcakes onto them. My ball fit about 14 mini sized cupcakes. This part is totally up to you because it will depend on the size of your basket and cupcakes, as well as how closely you want to pack your cupcakes together.
2. Next cut the remainder of the sheet of tissue into small (2×2 or 3×3) squares and tuck them into any empty spaces between cupcakes to fill in your bouquet and conceal the foam ball.
3. Now comes the funnest part! Pick two or three colors of icing, bag it up, and ice those cupcakes! The absolute easiest way to do this is to make easy swirl roses with a large open star tip, like Wilton 1M. If you want to make carnations, real roses, or other flowers that require the cupcake to be rotated as you ice then you will have to remove those cupcakes and replace them after they’re iced. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind as you decide. (Note: due to technical difficulties, the tips in the above picture were not used for this project. Just wanted to clarify that to avoid confusion.)
That’s it, you’re done! Refrigerate and gift to mom when ready.