Oh boy, am I ever excited! Several months ago I started dreaming about putting together a reading challenge for 2018, but I wasn’t sure if there would be any interest in such a thing. I didn’t want to waste my time (or injure my pride, let’s just be honest) by putting it out there and achieving no participation. So a few weeks ago I put out some feelers on social media and got an overall positive response from my friends and followers. With that encouragement I decided to take the plunge and create the first ever Read. Eat. Repeat. Reading Challenge!
If you are still reading at this point I’ll assume you are at least mildly interested, so here are the facts and details about this challenge.
What it is:
- A list of open-ended prompts to help you choose one book per month in 2018. That means 12 books over the course of the year.
- An opportunity to discuss and compare your book choices with other readers – and hopefully make a bookish friend or two.
What it isn’t:
- A huge commitment. You don’t have to sign up for anything or commit to reading a book every month, unless you just want to. If you don’t like a prompt, skip it! Jump back in next month, or whenever you feel like it.
- A competition. Don’t feel like you have to be a professional reader or identify as a first-class bookworm to participate. No matter what anyone else is reading, just choose the prompts and books that sound fun to YOU. No pressure, man.
Still with me? Great! Below is the list of prompts for the Read. Eat. Repeat. 2018 Reading Challenge:
- A book you chose for the cover
- A book set in a place you want to visit
- A nonfiction book with an interesting topic
- A book that intimidates you
- A memoir or biography
- A book you’ve read (and loved) before
- A dystopian novel
- A middle grade or Young Adult book
- A book with your favorite color in the title
- An eighteenth century classic
- A book set in the future
- A book you’ve been meaning to read
I am going to be sharing a brief post on the 1st of each month with my choice for that month’s prompt starting January 1st. I hope you’ll join the discussion in the comments or anywhere on social media using the hashtag #readrepeat2018. If you want a physical copy of the reading challenge to put on your refrigerator or in your journal, feel free to save and print the image above, or email me for a PDF copy.